Saturday, September 24, 2011

Meet Miss "J"




Today we picked up our newest little puppy project! We were a little drowsy from my odd, thrown off sleep hours. Plus it was Friday, so I kinda made Jarett wake up super early with me. lol. Anyway, we got ready, packed the car and got on our way. As we were on our way I realized we forgot to take our "before" photo. This photo has somehow become a tradition we seem to do every time we take off on our drive to pick up our new puppy. But I squeezed it in....


Being that we didn't know the name or the color of our new little girl we tried to keep our minds off the obvious subject and the ride went by somewhat fast and uneventful.

I had forgotten that today was a recall day, which is a day where dogs who are ready for formal training are turned in. I talked for a short moment to the woman who was waiting for the dogs to arrive. She helped us find someone to get our pup for us. We were then led into the Kennel Kitchen and handed our baggy full of ear cleaner, toothbrushes, heartguard, flea control, collars, leash, monthly reports, vet info, etc. The lady said, "Looks like you are taking home Jonquil."

You heard, or should I say read, that right. I thought oh man...... What A NAME! lol.

It took a little while to actaully get the pup. I knew she was going to be 11 weeks and that obviously meant she was going to be bigger, but when I saw her through the window, I said, "If that is our pup, then she is huuuuge."
I'm not sure she is really any bigger than any of the other puppies we have received, but she sure seemed like it. (Now that she's home she doesn't seem that big.)

Oh and She is YELLOW!!!

I had an inkling she was yellow. Last time I had spoken to Cava's raiser's, they mentioned they were getting a yellow. Jonquil is our 2nd yellow lab out of 7 PIT's. I looked up her name and Jonquil actually is a shade of yellow. So now it is growing on me..... a little....

I have no idea yet if her parents are yellow or black. I am going to do some investigating later tonight if I am stuck awake. (Which will probably happen for at least one of two reasons..... crate training.) If anyone has any picture of her parents that you can send me, please let me know and I will get you my email.


I won't make you wait any longer.... here she is.......






Here is a short list of things about Jonquil.
  1. She has the cutest eyes. The middle of her bottom eyelids seem to come to a sharp point.
  2. She is such a pretty light color. She reminds me of our previous pup, Egypt, just not as quiet.
  3. She is sweet but independent.
  4. I think Jonquil might be our little Spoiled Pageant Queen. She has the looks and the attitude.

Jonquil was pretty good during the car ride home. There were about two hours of time to waste, so I tried to keep her busy with a bone. Instead she tired repeatedly to eat my shoe lace and the towel. Lol. She barked about 5 times and a little crying here and there. For the most part she was great. This trip home was better than when we first brought Halette home. Halette cried the entire two hour drive.

I made a quick stop by my mother's house so she could quickly meet Jonquil and then we came home.

Here is a list of things that we have done or I have noticed since we have been home.
  • We introduced Jonquil to Carla who loved her. We then introduced her to Tenaya, who of course, lost her little golden mind over Jonquil.
  • Jonquil went right to sleep, so lunch was quite late as I was not going to spoil that moment of peace.
  • When she did wake up, I was surprised she ate her whole lunch, but who am I kidding she is, after all, a LAB.
  • She is having a tough time adjusting to life on the other side of the gate. For now, that is where Jonquil will spend the majority of her time until she is more reliable in her potty training. There has been some more crying and barking, but other than that she is just a curious little pup.
  • Right now she sounds like she swallowed a squeaker.
  • Oh, and every time I praise her for being good or quiet she barks/cries at me. Her crying is half barking.

I hope she starts to feel more comfortable in the next few days. I'm sure she will start to catch on to the routine. I think I am in for a ride with this one. lol.



One last note: I had forgotten that everything I own is dark. All my clothes, my purse, the interior of MY CAR.... Oh man, I am already drowning in white hair! haha. Her cuteness helps with that though.

6 comments:

Mandy and Saxon said...

oooh I like her name and she's super cute. But then, I like unique names. Her parents are both yellow, here's a picture of Cathy - http://www.flickr.com/photos/guidedogsfortheblind/4793574886/

angelofthemind said...

Those eyes, just heart melting!

Raiser Erin said...

Oh, I love that name. She's absolutely adorable! I don't know how much longer I can go without a puppy now that I'm allowed to have one. :D

Lisa, Ellie and Hosta said...

That is quite the name. But, it grows on you! ;) She is SOOOOOOOOOO adorable. LOVE those eyes. Glad it's going well so far.

Elle J said...

She is gorgeous ... congratulations on the start of more puppy raising! Looking forward to reading your journey as Haddie is not much older than Jonquil. =)

browndogcbr said...

Hi Y'all,

Such a cutie!

Y'all come by now,
Hawk aka BrownDog

Hello There!

I along with Jarett have raised 6 guide dog pups. We are currently raising pup # 7. These are our stories, our adventures, our experiences. Please follow us and watch our pups grow into their paws and from jacket into harness. Feel free to leave a comment. We enjoy hearing what you have to say.