Friday, July 1, 2011

Halette's Final Evaluation

Well on June 23rd we had Halette's final evaluation with our CFR. I knew it was coming. You can somewhat predict when it's coming.

You have your final eval for a reason, and that reason is to get your recall date figured out. I had heard through a little birdie that it would be one of two dates and I had hoped that it would be the date furthest away.

I had some huge nerves about this eval and I usually do, but I am confident in Halette. (I think it was other stresses catching up.) Halette could sense that I was out of sorts and she was just a tad bit more excited for this outing than her norm. As we sat down to talk over Halette's pros and cons, I explained my anxiousness, everyone seemed to understand and the two of us calmed down (thankfully).

After going over reactions and behaviors we added her exposures/outings and moved right along to show off our work. We walked out of the coffee shop and into the store. Walked along the freezer isles and back around the electronics. Around this time we handed her off to the CFR so he could work with her for himself. They walked down the toy isles where all the baby dolls let out cries and walked out of sight. When they returned, Halette was so focoused on the CFR she would not look away! Good Girl Halette!!! (Although it does help that he was rewarding her with some much appreciated treats. I do have to say when she dropped one of the treats on the floor, she did a wonderful job showing off her food refusal right then and there!)

I knew right then, even though Halette didn't, that she was ready to leave and go to formal training.

So to sum it up, Halette is recalled for formal training on July 23rd Guide Dogs for the Blind annual Fun Day.

Does that sound like a fun day to you?


Oh and I just heard that her sister Havasu (who is in my puppy raising group) is going back this weekend and Halette will be going back with her sister Hanalei....


Halette and Tenaya sharing Halette's kennel.

6 comments:

Lisa, Ellie and Hosta said...

First off: Congrats on doing such a super awesome job on Halette. Secondly: Wow, that seems so close and I hope you get to make every remaining minute loving on her!

Cassie & The Dogs said...

Wow! I can't believe the litter is going in already! We have Hestia in our group, but no recall date yet. We have one pup, 3 mos older than the H's that is on the July 23rd recall as well.

Good luck Halette!

Squidershins said...

I'm so glad Hanalei will be going back with at least one sibling! See you at fun day :)

Rebecca, Ely and Joe said...

I know how you feel. I will be turning in my puppy to southeastern guide dogs on July 23rd. Looks like there will be lots of great dogs starting a new chapter in their life on that day. Enjoy your last few weeks with Halette

browndogcbr said...

Hi Y'all,

Congratulations Halette! We sure you will do just as well in your advanced training.

Ah, for your raiser, a day of mixed feelings. :(

Y'all come by now,
Hawk aka BrownDog

Raiser Erin said...

Hilly and I are glad that we get to see you two at Fun Day before Halette is recalled.

Enjoy your last few weeks with her! Can't wait to see you at Fun Day!

Hello There!

I along with Jarett have raised 6 guide dog pups. We are currently raising pup # 7. These are our stories, our adventures, our experiences. Please follow us and watch our pups grow into their paws and from jacket into harness. Feel free to leave a comment. We enjoy hearing what you have to say.