Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Two Steps forward, One Step Back.

I feel like saying one step forward and two steps backwards and that may be more accurate, but I am going to try to stick with the glass half full outlook.

We released Tenaya to be placed into a Community Placement but unfortunately our CFR just received word today that she would not be accepted with her hip dysplasia. I kept thinking it was odd that they would place a dog with hip dysplasia but was willing to see where that lead. I would take her back in a heart beat but where we stand now our living situation is not where we want it to be. I told Jarett when we released Tenaya that if by chance she didn't make it I was done and I was taking her back, but reality set in today. I have a few phone calls to make. I have more research for how to care for a dog with hip issues. I have to see if she can work as a therapy dog with hip dysplasia. If that IS a possibility then we may be able to take her back if not...... I have a few people that may take her. Nothing is for sure.

So now moving on to the third time having to give my dog away, I am getting worn out. Wait I am supposed to stay optimistic but I keep thinking of when I called her Lady she would run over head low tail wagging, so happy to be getting some attention. The way she knew I was upset and would walk up, sit right by my side and give me her sweet eyes and happy grunts. Then I look down to my side and see Halette and can't help but think of the "what ifs" with her. What if Halette doesn't make it? Where will she end up? Can I take her? Then I can't raise these dogs any longer.

This is not easy.

3 comments:

Erin and Co. said...

UGh It isn't!! Good luck!

Raiser Erin said...

Being a puppy raiser does have its downsides. Figuring out what to do when your puppy is dropped is one of them. Good Luck!

If you'd like a little help I would make a pros and cons list. It sounds corny yes, but I think making those things puts things into real prospectives for me. Like with Freya, since I wasn't sure she was giong to make if for the longest time, I made a list about keeping her and decided that she was one of those dogs that come along every once in a while that I wouldn't be able to give up. She was my heart dog to be sure. I just asked myself "Could I live without her?" My answer was no. I wish you all the luck and I know that where ever Tenaya ends up will be the perfect place for her. :)

Lauren and Don said...

I'm so sorry about Tenaya being recalled. Thinking of you as you reach a decision about Tenaya.

Hello There!

I along with Jarett have raised 6 guide dog pups. We are currently raising pup # 7. These are our stories, our adventures, our experiences. Please follow us and watch our pups grow into their paws and from jacket into harness. Feel free to leave a comment. We enjoy hearing what you have to say.