Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Not a Very Wordless Wednesday

Written August 18th 1:23 am
This was going to be my wordless Wednesday but......


Well Tenaya and Halette's health seems to be going good. Halette may come home this weekend!!!! And so might Tenaya!!! No actually, probably not Tenaya as she was just CC'd for hip dysplasia. I don't know much right now other then our CFR found out yesterday and he was just as disappointed as we were. She is a really well rounded dog and the last we had talked to the vet he sounded really enthusiastic about Tenaya, but then again, that was before this news.
When Jarett walked in and sat on the couch he caught me completely by surprise. He just spat out the news. I mean, when you put your emotions into these dogs and things don't go like you hoped, it actually hurts when the news is delivered. I didn't cry, but felt like it. I can't sleep now because I have to decide weather I want to keep her or release her into another program. I also haven't really had to deal with this in years. Dogs for Diabetics was really new when I started and Teagan was career changed so I didn't know much then about alternative programs. I know there are few options out there but I don't know all of them.

While I know this is nothing I could have prevented I still feel that GUILT. I know she wants to work and I know she would have been a great mother or guide. They DID mention that they wanted us to release her, and I want to but it is like giving your dog away twice.

That was written last night. I don't have much to update you on today, other then they thought she would be great for k9 buddies or Community placement. We have not made a final decision to release her yet. Just want to let it settle, but it looks as though we probably will let her pursue a new career and see where she ends up. I will update you when things are more final.

7 comments:

Maddie and Jorinda said...

I'm so sorry about the CC! I'm Tenaya will be happy with another career or as a pet, as long as she has someone to love her! :)

Amanda said...

I am so sorry. Career changes are always disappointing, but the health ones are the worst because they are such big surprises.

Good luck to Tenaya in whatever career she chooses. :)

Raiser Erin said...

I'm soooo sorry! Poor Tenaya. I know just how you feel. I hope you guys are able to keep her if you want and think you can handle a dog with hip dysplasia.

Megan, Paris, Picassa & Snickers said...

So sorry to hear about Tenaya! No matter what the reason or wether it is expected or out of the blue CC's are hard. Health CC's are the worst though. I've had a couple pups CC'd for health who would have been perfect guide dogs otherwise. I am sure you will make the right decision for Tenaya and she will be happy wherever she ends up.

Katrin said...

What difficult news to have. I hope that you are able to make the right decision for both her and your family.

Natalie said...

I'm sorry to hear that, good luck with your decision, I'm sure you'll make the right one. People ask me about what will happen with Bob - while I tell them I would like for him to find an alternative 'job' everyday I grow more and more attached and my answer seems to constantly change... Hope you do what is best for all of you and know she will be happy with whatever you choose.

Kari in WeHo said...

Im so sorry to hear about the hips. No one saw that coming :(


Don't forget, we moved to http://dogisgodinreverse.com/

Hello There!

I along with Jarett have raised 6 guide dog pups. We are currently raising pup # 7. These are our stories, our adventures, our experiences. Please follow us and watch our pups grow into their paws and from jacket into harness. Feel free to leave a comment. We enjoy hearing what you have to say.