Monday, August 9, 2010

Goodbye Tenaya.... and Halette?

Well, I'm going to guess you never saw this one coming. I know I didn't, but today we took Tenaya back. We have been struggling with the two GD pups and their health for the last month and this morning was the final straw.
We called to see if Tenaya could go back today and have Halette checked out by the on-staff vet for some minor issues we have been having.

It was the longest 45 minutes of my life while we waited for the okay to go. As soon as we got word that we could start heading up to San Rafael I started crying. Everytime Tenaya snorted/ grunted to me I cried. We had to wait until this afternoon which made it a long day. Anticipation kills me, so I cried some more here and there. The ride up there I cried but as soon as we got out of the car I was done. I felt relief. We walked into the kennels, into the office, checked in, and were directed to the vet office.

We talked over the issues (I can't stress enough they are minor but on-going) they took x-rays of Tenaya.... everything was fine there. We talked a little more about Halette, and then the vet looked at me ands asked, "Can you pick Halette up next week, we just want to get everything back on track?"
What?! I knew we were coming home one dog short but 2?
All in all I was actually relieved by this as well. I get so stressed out from the vet visits. To me it is the most stressful part about puppy raising. Not knowing what is approved and the amount of money and blah blah blah.....

So..... we left with no puppies and....... it is a little lonely here. Jarett and I were talking about it on the way out the door and we haven't been GD pupless in 5 years. I will have an update on Tenaya and Halette's health on Thursday, and won't get Halette back until at least this weekend. Other than that I only have a post or two left with Tenaya.

Tenaya on the way to drop her off at Guide Dogs for the Blind.

Halette snuggling her big sister and role model.

Jarett and Tenaya in the vet office saying his goodbyes.

But then we got word that we had to say goodbye to Halette too, so I interrupted.

Saying goodbye.

A face you can't forget.
(she made her little grunting noise here and I didn't cry.)

5 comments:

Raiser Erin said...

Aw, I hope everything is ok with Tenaya. That's a little sad that you had to drop her off a little earlier than planned. I'm sure Halette is going to be fine. Maybe she's playing with Rockford (who's up there for allergy testing) right now and having a blast.

Kari in WeHo said...

wow, at first I though H was gone for good. I hope she gets all better soon!

don't forget, we moved to dogisgodinreverse.com

ChrisAnna said...

We got a little update on Halette and her stomach seems to have been settled today. We will see what tomorrow brings.

Lauren and Don said...

Aw, that must've been really hard, dropping Tenaya off early. Don and I are crossing our fingers (and paws) that Tenaya and Halette are o.k. Good luck Tenaya! I think she's going to be a star at Guide Dogs :)

Erin and Co. said...

Awww! Poor you guys!! :) I know the puppies are or will be doing fine. :)

Hello There!

I along with Jarett have raised 6 guide dog pups. We are currently raising pup # 7. These are our stories, our adventures, our experiences. Please follow us and watch our pups grow into their paws and from jacket into harness. Feel free to leave a comment. We enjoy hearing what you have to say.