Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Fun Day..... Long Day Part 2

I have been to Fun Day every year since I started raising GDB puppies. This year we decided to try out the Juno Walk. This is a booth set up with an obstacle course. You can go blindfolded or just close your eyes while a instructor guides you with a harness. I watched Jarett and intended on taking photos, but after the one photo I took of Jarett, someone came up to me and commented on what a cute pair Halette and Tenaya were. So, sorry Jarett again for the lack of photos. I overheard Jarett say that it didn't feel like he went around all those curves, so when I stepped in to take my turn I was a little surprised that I felt the complete opposite. I felt as if I was taking sharp turns.

Jarett being instructed about the different types of harnesses they use.

That's me...how exciting.

I told her I was too chicken to walk with the blindfold.

After the Juno course we walked over to get lunch where we found most of our group. We ate together and let the dogs relax a little.

Tenaya at the lunch break.

The other golden in our group, Gidget. Apparently Gidget's father was a hunting champ and has no breeding lines in service work.

After lunch we headed back to the booths because the first time around we couldn't find the sleeves. Found the sleeves, looked around at what we wish we could buy, and headed out where we made a pit stop in the kennels. There was a little station in one of the kennels were you could try out grooming your puppy blindfolded. This was an eye opener because..... well the dogs still have toothpaste all over them. It let me have a better understanding at how important it is that we work with these dogs on their patience while being groomed. Our dogs did great but poor Halette, when I brushed her teeth I forgot to look for the small side of the toothbrush and jabbed the large end into her mouth.

Jarett is brushing Tenaya blindfolded.

Jarett brushing Tenaya's teeth blindfolded.

Halette and I getting ready for her toothpaste bath.

Halette with that crazy look on her face must be thinking I was crazy trying to shove the big end of the toothbrush in her small mouth.

Here is Don from The Puppy Raising Journey. He looks so much like his brother, Donner. Too bad he didn't show but I am glad I got to meet Don and Lauren.


After we meet Lauren and Don we walked and sat down to watch the puppies that are handed out to their new raisers on Fun Day. On the way I spotted another Halette look-alike, and sure enough it was Hana.
Halette meets Hana. Halette is on the right. You can see the toothpaste all over Halette's ear.


Here we are waiting and waiting for the puppies. I enjoyed just sitting under the big pine trees. The shade was cool and Halette loved the bark. We talked with some other puppy raisers and passed some time. Halette and Tenaya took this opportunity to catch up on some sleep.

Halette passed out.

Another shot to express how wiped out this pup was.
And look at that NICE jacket sleeve, ha no but really I'm glad I at least replaced one.

Too cute. My girls
with their toothpaste.

We waited and our wait paid off because we got to meet Lance for a quick second. It was worth it because we got to remember how excited we were to bring home our little or now big golden girl. After that we headed out for our car ride home. It was bittersweet knowing that this would be my last Fun Day with Tenaya.

This is Lance, one of the puppy's handed out at Fun Day. He was the only pup I found that is related to Tenaya all day. They share their father Mazel. Lance is from Erin and Rocco's puppy raising group. Here is Erin's blog My Time as a GDB Puppy Raiser.


Do you think they look alike?
Here is Tenaya the day we picked her up from the GDB campus last year.

6 comments:

Raiser Erin said...

They totally do! I thought that was Lance until I read your caption! They have the same face. That's sooo cool!

Maddie, Betsy, and Jorinda said...

It sounds like you had a great time at Fun Day! I would love to fly out one year to join in the festivities!

Lauren and Don said...

Aww- the goldens are so adorable. They really do look alike!

I just LOVE that picture of you brushing Halette's teeth! The way her eyes are, she's like "Ah! what are you doing to me?!" so cute :) It was nice meeting you and the dogs!

Looks like you had a great time.

Erin and Co. said...

bwahaha I love the tooth brushing photo, she defiantly thought you were crazy! hahaa

Anonymous said...

Good post and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you seeking your information.

Kari in WeHo said...

Looks to me like the fun, long day was a very tiring day!

don't forget, we moved to dogisgodinreverse.com

Hello There!

I along with Jarett have raised 6 guide dog pups. We are currently raising pup # 7. These are our stories, our adventures, our experiences. Please follow us and watch our pups grow into their paws and from jacket into harness. Feel free to leave a comment. We enjoy hearing what you have to say.