Monday, May 31, 2010

Teagan Teagan Teagan

Well, Back in the day........no, but about 5 years ago I was going to be a senior in high school and I wanted a dog. The only way I could think of talking my dad into it (keep in mind I was only 16) was fostering a dog. However, I had watched a program on the tv and came across some info at our local library that pointed me in the direction of raising guide dogs. My mom, being on board, allowed me to make the phone calls needed.
Next thing you know I had a house visit. That was quite the intimidating thing. It came quickly and like everything else, I was over-analyzing. There I met my future local group leader. She informed me of the requirements of puppy raising, handed me paperwork and said she was looking forward to seeing me at the group meeting/outings. Now, I explain that like it was all business, but it was quite refreshing to meet my group leader. She was so open and willing to spend time answering any question I had come up with. She had also said that German Shepards and Golden Retrievers were hard to come by, so I filled the form out for a female black Labroador Retriever.
After I had attended the required amount of meetings and outings, I was quickly assigned a yellow lab female. Now, I don't know how other servive dog schools work, but with Guide Dogs for the Blind you only get to know in advance the birthdate, parents, gender, breed, color, and first initial of the puppy you will receive. The most interesting detail, the name, is left for guessing.
She was a Miss "A." It was all happening so quickly; it was quite scary. To my surprise I recieved an email saying that a female black lab became available with the first initail, "T". What luck to get the dog I wanted. I gladly decided to take the black lab female, little Miss "T".
I had no idea what to expect, so when the day came to pick up "T.", I had one of everything in the car. Still, somehow, I have not one picture of picking Teagan up (yep, that's her name!). We didn't have a digital camera then, and other photos of her puppyhood are lost somewhere due to another story I will get to on a later date. Luckily, on my birthday that year I received my very own digital camera, a first. Form there I have added over 5000 photos to my collection. I know, over 5000 a little excessive.
I knew that this little thing was going to change my life, but I had no idea to what extent. First off, she wasn't my first dog. When I was seven my mother got me a yorkie. I named her Meeko and she was a wonderful little thing with the biggest attitiude. By the time we got Teagan, Meeko was around ten, and still had the energy of a puppy. Beacause of this, I knew what respinsibilities came along with having a dog.
Teagan was a well behaved dog. She went everwhere with me and did great with distractions.


Teagan is about 14 months here.


Teagan at a meeting.

This is Yiddu Man Syndrome (see his story below). Teagan helped raise him. He is dirty because we were introducing him to the outside world, where he climbed up a dirty, (*head shake*) dirty tree.

When Teagan was still under a year old, I had to take in this little 2 week-old kitten who we later named Yiddu Man Syndrome. When you are caring for such a young kitten you have to keep their whole system moving. Teagan did a great job in helping me care for him. Even though he is a huge pain and a great place to put your insults, we love that cat and are willing to put up with his needs he tries to hide.

One of the youngest pictures of Yiddu.

Yiddu trying to win me over.

Teagan at her last meeting.

Picking Teagan up as a Career Change.

Teagan was recalled at 18 months old. I knew this day was coming. When we got to the campus, I didn't know what to expect. We walked up to a little table and were greeted by some really nice people, answered their questions, were having a good time, when right then they asked, "Are you ready?" I was in shock. Not because they did anything wrong. It had just hit me and I simply handed them the leash. That was that.
Teagan's training seemed to take forever. However, she was progressing. When people asked about her, I told them that she would be coming home. Just when I let my guard down and said I guess she isn't, Teagan was Career Changed. From here, they were going to put her in the K9 Buddy program, an alternative route for career changed puppies that can help blind children learn the responsibilities of having a guide dog before they are actually old enough to receive one. I believe the program was still new and was told there was not a placement for Teagan at the time.
I went and picked her up as soon as I could. While I waited in the office I saw a man being pulled quite hard by a dog. Knowing Teagan never pulled, I continued to wait. Just then the door swung open and in runs Teagan. She must have smelled me and became overly excited because when we got all the jumping and licking out of the way, Teagan was back to her old self, walking loosely on the leash all the way to the car.
At this time I was living with Jarett, raising another puppy, named Glimmer. Teagan went to my mom's house where she lives a pretty laid back life. She now has a new little sidekick named Stella, a French Bulldog.
I know these are a bit boring. I hope that I get caught up soon, but I can't resist the need to have each puppy's story in order.

Teagan a.k.a Nunun Faces

No comments:

Hello There!

I along with Jarett have raised 6 guide dog pups. We are currently raising pup # 7. These are our stories, our adventures, our experiences. Please follow us and watch our pups grow into their paws and from jacket into harness. Feel free to leave a comment. We enjoy hearing what you have to say.